Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Recording Diary - Day Seven

TUESDAY 23rd MAY 2006

Now I'm sure that nobody could argue the fact that metal-tooth EastEnder Goldie is the be all and end all of Drum And Bass in this country. That's what I thought too but always felt that I may be able to add a little extra to his ample cooking pot, therefore creating a much headier brew. This is how I have felt with much of the D'n'B sections of the album. A few of the others tried to tell me that heavy scattershot beats don't belong on songs such as 'I'm Gonna Take Your Girl' but I think they will be the ones looking back in a few years time, looking me straight in the eye and saying 'You were right'. So as you could imagine I was feeling rightfully proud and excited at the thought of one of the heads of Akoustik Anarkhy Recordings making the journey from Manchester to see how we are progressing with the album. All of my anxieties fell away as he was quite rightly left speechless at this new direction. I kind of wish he had stayed to listen to the other songs but he left in a hurry after only 5 minutes saying "I'm going to have to speak to the others about this..." Obviously he can't wait to tell them what a little gem they have in their hands.

DTL is struggling with one of his guitar lines so we remove 5 strings from the guitar so as not to confuse him and he finally nails the three note solo on the final remaining string in under an hour.

It is just DTL and I for the first part of the day as we await the arrival of NTL and Paul Brennan our Trombone player. I hear the intercom buzz. As I turn I see Paul Brennan stood waiting to be let into the building but my eyes are drawn to the limo that has just dropped him off. More specifically they are drawn to the driver. Purcell. GTL arrives and is immediately sent on a chippy run. We fit his helmet and send him on his way with a list as we set up for Mr.Brennan's takes. The first two songs leave us all giggling like schoolgirls with excitement in the control room. Paul has'nt taken to covering an entire song with unwanted parps and blasts and instead has chosen a few lines that when laid over the final tracks add an entirely new side to the song, one that ultimately makes you want to bob up and down a bit with a vaguely stupid looking grin on your face. We are contemplating calling the album 'PAUL BRENNAN featuring THE LOUNGS'. After some jazz (you'll have to wait and see) Paul leaves us all a little bit happier than we were before and JTL arrives eager to fit some more recording into the end of his working day.

It is worth pointing out that while all this has been happening PTL has been blasting out tender love songs on his acoustic guitar in the recreation area as practice for his live solo show at the Theatre Royal tonight. The reviews garnered by 'PAUL NICHOLSON - 90% SOLO' have been magnificent so far but have caused yet more tension in the ranks of The Loungs. We understand that he needs the money but some of us draw the line at some of the stage costumes he wears throughout the show in particular the Nazi uniform he performs along with 'goosestepping dance' to his one man version of 'Jimmy Two Shoes'. Nobody wants to approach him about it as it can be hard to talk to PTL at the moment without booking an appointment via his manager but I am sure we will resolve this in the usual messy fashion somewhere further down the line.

Another 12 hour day comes to an end as two Loungs and Mr.Andy Bowes set of in the direction of the Zoo Bar. I manage one pint of lager and £1.25 in the Tetris bandit before I am left skint and so I leave at about 10pm. As I leave I notice that the singer of the synth duo playing at the back of the bar bears an uncanny resemblence to PTL. Odd.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home