Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Recording Diary - Day Two

TUESDAY 16th MAY 2006

Purcell was late this morning by 20 minutes. I was going to say something but did'nt for two reasons, one being that he did not look in the least bit happy when he arrived to pick me up, barely even bidding me good morning. The second reason is a bit stranger. His door was open in the front as I climbed into the back of the limo. I caught a glance inside and the glovebox was open. I can't be sure but I thought I saw something strange in there........hmmmm......I dunno. I did'nt say anything to PTL and GTL when we picked them up. I thought it best not to.

DTL was first in the studio this morning and, despite his protests to the contrary, he left the front door of the building open. This meant that about halfway through the day we were interrupted by an elderly couple who wanted to know if this was 'a recording studio'. We told them that it was and then to naff off. Times money loves.

The day begins with PTL (or 90 (per) Cent as he likes to be known) cracking an off colour joke about an orphan DTL being left in a basket on some stairs by David Bowie.

After yesterday's 'Googly Moogly' debacle we decided to have another couple of cracks at it whilst we were all nice and fresh this morning. I think we have it finally but it's really hard to tell when you are listening to just the drum track. One listen can sound fine, the next somebody will hear a mistake that they don't hear on the next listen but somebody else does and so on. As with yesterday we followed with a couple of other songs that we nailed in fairly quick succession in the hope of making up a bit of time and crossing another couple off the 'to do' list. The songs in question had been pushed back as probable problem children but did'nt turn out that badly in the end. The largest of these supposed problem children has been 'Electric Lights' which we have only ever referred to in hushed tones as 'Igor' up until this point. I like to think of it as our 'Bohemian Rhapsody' but it really is'nt. Clicks are created by GTL due to some bizarre DTL flight of fancy but strangely enough work very well and we crack through it with more ease than we ever anticipated. I reckon it's going to sound great me. I nervously show the others some of the 'phat beatz' that I had planned for 'All Your Love' and they seem to go down ok so we'll give them a try and see how it sounds.

I forgot to mention that Andy Bowes saw Cassandra from Only Fools And Horses walk past yesterday. We all missed her and if it was'nt for the fact that I know she is appearing in the Theatre Royal next door I would have called his sanity into question by now. His bottom was badly behaved today, the first sign of windypops rearing it's ugly head at approximately 11.30am.

Some things that happen in the following few hours:

1. PTL does a chippy run and returns with far to many chips that are all somehow finished off by NTL.
2. We all laugh at an ever so slightly mentally unstable singer/songwriter from Liverpool.
3. DTL calls me names for drawing song titles in my little book.
4. NTL drinks some Strongbow and gets a bit sleepy.
5. Andy takes a camera to the toilet.
6. DTL calls JTL names for looking a bit lost.
7. PTL and DTL partake in some 'lad's stuff' including cards and penny toss.
8. DTL calls me names for drawing a badly proportioned studio chair in my little book.
9. We buy some pop from Andy's tuck shop (he does'nt stock crisps).
10. The dvd lady arrives. JTL buys 'Give My Regards To Broad Street' and GTL buys a dog eared copy of 'The Bridges Of Madison County'. I pass but find myself sorely tempted by 'Gremlins 2:The New Batch'.

...oh aye and we record some more songs including one that now features a new lyric involving old men's genitalia.

By the end of the day we have got the basics down for 12 songs. GTL has a few bits to add in the morning and we have one more to record before we can begin to slowly flesh them out with guitars, whistles and bells. I will try and get some photos of us in classic 'band in studio' poses over the next few days to post on here with my ramblings but I'm not sure how I'll manage it because DTL has lost his charger.

The day ends with another trip to the mighty Zoo Bar. I borrow £10 off DTL and win nothing on 'T-E-T-R-I-S'. We have a pint-a-piece and go our seperate ways apart from GTL who stops on his own for another....weirdo. I'm really looking forward to tomorrow. I could get used to this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home